How to Grow Grapes
History of Grapes
Before we answer this question- How to grow grapes, let us turn some pages of history. The early records of grape cultivation can be traced to early civilizations of human kind. Historical records reveal that the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics show various procedures of grape cultivation in primordial life of a human being. Some scholars and learned people believe that the cultivation of grapes was practiced by the ancient Greeks, Romans and Phoenicians. Ancient people cultivated grapes for eating purposes and for production of wine. Also, grapes can be associated with one of the royal and most preferred fruits of kings and emperors of ancient times. However, precise time cannot be predicted.
Subsequently, the cultivation of grapes extended its wings to other parts of the world, commencing from Europe to North Africa. Eventually, the cultivation spread to the ancient Americas. In California, USA, the first cultivated grapes were grown by Spanish Franciscan Friars. The very first table grape vineyard is created in Los Angeles by the name of William Wolfskill. Time passed and more people began to settle in California, which resulted in the introduction of assorted types of European grapes. Today, USA produces approximately 98% of grapes alone from California. Now, the question, how to grow grapes? Well, this is an age-old process but before we answer the how to grow grapes question, let us know the various types of grapes.
Types of Grapes
There are various types of grapes and the most common types are red, black and green. The following is the list of cultivated grapes, whether used for eating purpose or for wine making.
A. Single Species Red Grapes: Vinis Vinifera grapes (for wine):
B. Single Species White Grapes: Vinis Vinifera grapes (for wine):
Nutritional Values of Grapes
Nutritional value per 100g (approximately), including red or green grapes
1. Energy 70 kcal
2. Carbohydrates 18.1 g
3. Fat 0.16 g
4. Protein 0.72 g
5. Iron 0.36 mg
6. Calcium 10 mg
7. Vitamin C 10.8 mg
8. Phosphorus 20 mg
9. Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 0.07 mg
10. Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 0.069 mg
How to Grow Grapes
Now, this is the most imperative feature! We can see the idea in some of the following easy and cost-effective ways. Thriving augmentation of grapes utterly depends on your way of taking care. Grapes require full sunlight without any blockage, moderate supply of water, better care and important precautions in order to protect them from various pests and insects. The following will answer your question of how to grow grapes:
1) Atmosphere: Before you start any procedure, it is very essential to see what kind of environment is suitable for the cultivation of grapes. Depending on the climate and atmosphere, you can start off with the procedure
2) Selection: Selecting correct types of grapes suitable for your atmosphere and climate is very important. Select any of the types suitable for their cultivation- wine grape, table grape, etc. preferably, contact nursery supervisor of your area who could explain you the best types appropriate for cultivation
3) Varieties: For successful viticulture, it is must for you to select varieties that suit your climate, as discussed earlier. Some varieties require less heat and some require more heat. Depending on their condition, you need to make the ultimate decision in order to prevent any damage in future
4) Place: An appropriate site is very essential for the growth of grapes. The place or site should be clear as the direct sunlight is necessary. Select a suitable site where sunlight falls directly on the vineyard. Direct sunlight is mandatory for good grape cultivation and the developing grapes require abundant heat
5) Soil: Cultivation of grapes needs dry soil, which is less in nutrient. When soil is dry, vine emerges. This process leads to the production of small grapes, which is helpful in making wine. The skin of the small grapes contains the whole essence and it is very useful for wine makers to produce wine. Big grapes contain less skin and more juice, which are produced to eat
6) Trellis: Support your vineyard with grape trellis. Grapes, as we know, are very deep rooted and it is recommended that you amend the soil deeper, because the more deep you amend, the better results you get. The best depth is 24-36 inches. Some grapes grow copiously and some are restricted to certain limit. Trellising is important because they keep grapes above the soil.
How to grow grapes? The answer is all here, above. Just follow some steps and grow sweet, appetizing, delicious grapes.
Get the FREE Mini Course on Some amazing facts about growing grapes and wine making
Fill out the form below and click submit button
Your First Lesson Will Be in Your Inbox Immediately. No Spam! Yes.