What is Grape Trellis?
Grape trellis is constructed in order to support vines. As the grapes grow above the ground level, grape trellises are required to support them. Grape cultivation needs good care, time, and hard work. One of the most important characteristics of grape growing is the creation of appropriate trellis. Every farm or backyard requires a proper constructed trellis to support grapevine yards.
It has been noted that centuries ago, when human beings started cultivating grapes, they did not know what to do, meaning, even after knowing the ways, they could not find any exact and effective solution for making the growth of grapes successful.
In the 15th century, in Spain, a man named Frankos Salvado was obsessed with grapes. In his village, it is said that he tied big ropes across two poles where vines were present. After some days, he noticed that the grapes started getting better and better. The heavy winds did not affect the grapes much and he understood, later, that tying vines with something supportive can actually make things better when it is a matter of grape cultivation. Actually, Frankos indirectly, unknowingly, supported his delightful grapes with grape trellis.
In the middle of 18th century, Europeans started giving much preference to grape cultivation. This can be said that the turning point of world’s views. Grape trellis however became one the vital and essential factor in grape cultivation.
Construction of Grape Trellis
The construction of grape trellis is not at all difficult if you keep certain essential instructions in mind and when you follow the precise steps. It is just like building a farm fence, nothing more than that. Before you start, be positive and energetic in order to enjoy the construction of grape trellis. Always remember, nothing is impossible if you think you can do and remember to follow your own positive energy as you have self-will.
So let us start with the easy construction steps and let us see what it requires and what are the thing that you need to keep in mind.
1) Grape trellis consists of about two to three tightly stretched wires. All you need to do is take a pair of wires and attach tightly by stretching them to a post or pole, but steadily
2) Adjust the wires tightly and tie them
3) It should be sufficient enough to endure weight of grapevines
4) Must hold weighty crop during lofty winds
5) Posts or anchors should be of at least 8 feet long and 4 inches in diameter
6) Dig posts at least 2 inches deep in the ground for firm grip by mapping out the site carefully. You must explore the place thoroughly to avoid any kind of unwanted issues
7) Must last more than 20 years with scheduled continuance
8.) Posts should be made up of any material, which starts from steel, stick, wood, anything
9) Keep the posts apart ranging from 21, 24 or 28 feet apart. However, spacing depends on vines
10) Wires should be tied to the post alongside
11) Galvanized wires are, however, recommended to use for posts
12) For summer season, use tall trellis and for winter, use shorter
13) Big trellis typically requires about 8 feet of posts, while the shorter trellis requires about 3 to 4 feet
14) When you are ready, move on to the next process
Creating grape trellis are very important and in the first budding period. To add spice in your creation, do something innovative. Explore your creative mind and embellish your trellis. You can choose trellis according to your life style. You can decorate them or you can just keep them stringently keep them serviceable. You can start off with your grape cultivation whenever you feel like, but everything needs a precise planning and guidance. With this, you would be able to start the basic stuff. However, you still need to consult a specialist who knows a lot about viniculture in your area.
Types of Grape Trellis
Grape trellis is available in different shapes and sizes, and varieties as it can be constructed by any material ranging from steel, iron, wood, aluminum, etc; depending on your choice.
A grape trellis should be constructed before vine is placed into the precise position. Grapes can be grown anywhere in your backyard or lawn as the grape cultivation does not require massive space. To add beauty in your lawn and to make your vineyard free from any kind of problems, you must follow the basic instructions carefully.
Get the FREE Mini Course on Some amazing facts about growing grapes and wine making
Fill out the form below and click submit button
Your First Lesson Will Be in Your Inbox Immediately. No Spam! Yes.